Building a wine cellar is much like planting a tree. The best time to start is 20 years ago. Here’s a few wine styles that I am enjoying at the moment, but am currently buying too little of:
1. Great Southern and Clare Valley riesling;
2. Barolo/Barbaresco nebbiolo;
3. Villages red Burgundy;
4. Coonawarra cabernet sauvignon;
5. Margaret River cabernet sauvignon;
6. Hunter Valley semillon; and
7. Beaujolais (not for cellaring although some can be – see my trip to the region here).
I always have a keen eye for red Bordeaux, although the price increases for the cru classé in even the last 5 or 6 years are just astonishing.